Research Report on
St. Anne church, Catterick, Yorkshire, England
"A Church Built By Broughs"
Note: BFO Global Brough Database RIN #'s and additional
information in brackets were added
to this document in October 2015 by R. Clayton Brough, BFO Research Committee
The church of ST. ANNE consists of a chancel 44 ft. by 20 ft. 6 in. with
a north vestry, nave 62 ft. 6 in. by 20 ft. 6 in., a north aisle 10 ft.
6 in. wide extending behind the chancel about 24 ft. 6 in., south aisle
10 ft. 9 in. wide and about 15 ft. longer than the nave, south porch and
a western tower about 11 ft. 3 in. square. These measurements are all
The contract for building the present church, dated 1412, is still preserved
by Sir Henry Lawson of Brough Hall and a full copy of it is given in the
Rev. James Raine's monograph on the church. The contract is in English
and is between Katherine [Katerinam Aske, 1351-1413, Rin#61617] wife of
John Burgh [Johannes Borough, 1347-1412, Rin#61616] and William Burgh
[Willielmus Borough, 1371-1442, Rin#47368] her son [who built the church]
and Richard of Cracall (or Crakehall near Bedale). Special mention is
made of the re-use of the north window of the old church as the east window
of the new north aisle.
The church was extended later by the lengthening of the aisles eastwards.
In the north aisle (which in the original church had the 'porch' of our
Lady at its east end) were buried the John Burgh [Johannes Borough, 1347-1412,
Rin#61616] and William Burgh [Willielmus Borough, 1371-1442, Rin#47368]
mentioned in the contract and the latter's son William [William Borough,
1395-1462, Rin#53057]. To it the 'porch' of St. James was added about
1490-1 to accommodate the next head of the family [William Borough, 1426-1492,
Rin#13312], buried in 1492, and later his son and heir [William Borough,
1450-1508, Rin#44113]. [Footnote: These 'porches' evidently represented
the chapels of our Lady and St. James, in which chantries were founded
in 1505 and 1491 respectively.] The deaths and places of burial of these
individuals are all recorded on the back of the contract. The present
eastern part of the south aisle when it was added received the old displaced
south-west window of the chancel and the aisle east window was also re-used
in the later east wall. The other parts built since Richard's time are
the tower and south porch, both in the 15th century, and the vestry, which
is modern. Within the last few years the clearstory has been rebuilt.
In 1851 the pitch of the chancel and nave roofs was raised.
Richard's east window is of five cinquefoiled lights with cusped tracery
beneath a two-centred drop arch. In the modern gable above is a traceried
circular light. The two south windows are original with cinquefoiled ogee
heads and cusped tracery under four-centred arches with labels. There
are two piscinae in the south wall with plain ogee heads; one basin only
is pierced. Between the windows are sedilia of three bays with plain ogee
heads on crocketed gables; at the sides are small panelled buttresses
which are carried up above the heads and finished with little gables.
To the west of the second window is the priest's doorway, now filled in;
it has a four-centred rear arch and a two-centred external head. In the
north wall is the vestry doorway; it is old, though not part of Richard's
work. The late 15th-century archway into the north chapel is two-centred,
and the jambs are of three chamfered orders, with capitals of simple section;
the arch opposite into the south chapel has semi-octagonal jambs.
The chancel arch has jambs of the same form and a two-centred arch. The
capitals and arch section in this and the nave arcades, which are each
of four bays, are similar. The capitals are of a rather coarse section
and not what one would expect for the date of Richard's work. Mr. Raine
suggests that they were re-used from the former church. The arches of
the nave arcades are of the drop type.
The tower arch is two-centred and of three continuous orders, the inner
wave moulded and the outer plain chamfered. The four clearstory windows
on either side are modern, and in the east gable of the nave a two-light
window has been put in.
The two easternmost windows in the north aisle are each of three trefoiled
lights with sunk spandrels in a square head. The first has no label, and
a straight joint in the east wall suggests that it was formerly in that
wall; this is borne out by the manner in which it has been put in as close
to the east buttress as possible, as though cramped for space. The other
window dates from 1490. The third window is original and the fourth was
inserted in 1834; with the exception of a slight difference in the moulding,
both are similar to the chancel windows. The north doorway agrees with
the priest's doorway of the chancel and is evidently Richard's work. The
west window is a single cinquefoiled light.
The east window of the south aisle is the original three-light window
which was moved here by Richard when the chapel was added. The first two-light
south window has also been reset from the chancel. The other three windows
are all two-light original windows matching those of the chancel. The
south doorway has a moulded label with head stops, the eastern being a
grotesque with long ears. The west window of the aisle is similar to that
in the north aisle. In the south wall below the second window is the original
arched piscina recess, and further to the east is a later square one.
The tower is of three stages with diagonal buttresses reaching to the
level of the belfry window heads. The west window of the ground stage
is of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a fourcentred
arch with a label. This stage is vaulted and has a circular space left
in the crown for the passage of the bells. The chamber above is lighted
by small rectangular windows in its west and south walls. The belfry has
in each wall a window of two trefoiled lights with sunk spandrels in a
square head. The deep embattled parapet has a square pinnacle with crocketed
finials at each corner. The stair-turret is at the south-east corner;
the lower part is Richard's work.
The porch has been much modernized and has a window in either side, similar
to the clearstory windows, and a new outer doorway with a two-centred
arch. On the last are three old shields, one with a cross patonce for
Lascelles, the second with the saltire and swans of Burgh and the third
the bars of Aske. [Footnote: William Burgh (Willielmus Borough, 1371-1442,
Rin#47368), the rebuilder of the church, married a Lascelles (Matildam
Lascells, 1375-1432, Rin#47383) of Sowerby, and his mother was an Aske
(Katerinam Aske, 1351-1413, Rin#61617).] Over the doorway is a late 18th
or 19th-century sundial, with the words 'Fugit hora ora.' In the east
wall of the porch is a holy water stoup.
The font, put in soon after Richard's time, is octagonal with concave
faces to the stem and base. The upper part of the bowl has shields carved
with letters and arms. The first has the Burgh arms with a W and B flanking
it [representing Willielmus Borough, 1371-1442, Rin#47368], the fourth
the arms of Fitz Hugh of Ravensworth, the fifth of Scrope of Masham, the
sixth a ragged staff, perhaps for Dacre, the seventh of Darcy, the eighth
of Nevill. On the stem and base are some unmeaning letters, and two shields
on the base are blank.
Some six bays of the original 15th-century screen remain in the south
aisle, and some of presumably later date in the north aisle.
In the south wall in an arched recess is the recumbent effigy of Sir
Walter Urswick, constable of Richmond Castle in 1371. He is in chain and
plate armour; his legs are broken away. On the label over the recess are
three shields with the arms of Urswick, Scrope of Masham, and Urswick
In the north wall of the north aisle, between the second and third windows,
are two large recesses with moulded ogee arches.
In the north aisle, but now obscured [Footnote: These descriptions are
therefore taken from Canon Raine's monograph.] by the pews, is the brass
of William Burgh [Willielmus Borough, 1371-1442, Rin#47368], party to
the contract for rebuilding the church, who died in 1442, and his son
William Burgh [William Borough, 1395-1462, Rin#53057], who died in 1462,
both in armour, with a black letter inscription below, and two of the
four shields originally in the slab with the Burgh arms quartering a fesse
engrailed between six fleurs de lis. Another brass under the organ has
the figures of William Burgh [William Borough, 1428-1492, Rin#13312] (founder
of St. James's Chapel), who died in 1492, and his wife Elizabeth [Elsabeth
Conyers, 1428-1492, Rin#60219]. A third has an inscription to John Burgh
[Johannes Borough, 1347-1412, Rin#61616], who died in 1412, and Katherine
[Katerinam Aske, 1351-1413, Rin#61617] his wife. Below the sedilia is
a small brass with inscription to Grace Bellingham, wife of Gerard Lowther,
who died in 1594.
A wall monument on the north of the chancel is to Richard Braithwaite
(the author of 'Drunken Barnaby' and other books), who died in 1673, and
Mary his wife, who died in 1681. On the same wall is a monument to the
Rev. Michael Syddall, who died in 1658, and left a legacy to found a hospital,
school, &c. In the chancel floor is a slab to Isabella daughter of
Roger Croft of East Appleton and wife of William Dalton of Hauxwell, who
died in 1684.
In the tower is an 18th-century chest with three locks.
The east and south-east windows of the south aisle have recently been
filled with some good stained glass.
The eight bells are all modern, having been cast in 1891 by Mears &
Stainbank. There were formerly three, two of 1656 and one of 1771.
The plate includes a chalice of 1664 by Thomas Mangy of York, another
of 1681 inscribed 'ex dono Caroli Anthoni,' &c., a paten of 1805 given
by the Rev. J. Dalton and a paten of 1873 and flagon of 1874.
The registers begin in 1653.